9/8/10

Little Black Puppy


Author: Charlotte Zolotow
Title: Little Black Puppy
Illustrator: Lilian Obligado
Publisher: Western Publishing Company
Year: 1960


Format: Paperback
Genre: Picture Book
Reading Level: Assisted
Interest Level: Preschool, Primary, Elementary


Topics: Boy, Dog




Summary: 
When I was a child this was likely my favorite book.  The story is very simple.  I suspect it was the relationship between the boy and his dog that I longed for.  Instead I got a free hamster from an 'accidental' litter.  It bit me.

Extension Activities:
- "Dammit, it's gone again"  After reading the book each student tells a story about when they lost the cat, dog, hamster.  Then they show the scars from the punishment.
- "Pee in the Corner"  After reading the book, the boy pretends he is dog.  Possible results include chewed shoes, that "wet-fur-smell", and pee in the corner.